It didn't! We started the day under cloudy skies which soon turned to partly cloudy, warming as the morning wore on. It looked to be a fabulous day at the track. For the Summit Racing Junior Drag League Challenge, it was going to be a great day of racing for the kids. After two rounds of qualifying, we lined them up to start the elimination rounds. I looked through the tunnel and the western sky had turned to a menacing blue/black color. Two thirds of the way through the Modified group, the storm hit with lightning and a heavy downpour which sent everyone scrambling for cover. After a period of a rain, it was determined that we would be unable to complete the event, in part, due to the Dirt Oval hosting Team Demolition Derby. It would be unsafe for the kids to be driving their cars back to their pits (in the parking lot) as the Demo fans were arriving and driving in the same parking lot. The Junior Drag League Challenge will be held as part of the next Junior's race on July 5th. Unfortunately, since the elimination round was not completed nothing counts in the points. On July 5th, it will be as if today did not occur.
Although the results will not count, there was some racing, so please click here to see today's abbreviated racing.
After a period of time, the sky started to lighten and we moved over to the Dirt Oval in anticipation of running the Team Demolition Derby event. The fans starting lining up at the entrance around 3:30 p.m. and at 4 the car gates were open. Everything at that point was looking good. Unfortunately, the weather report was stating that more violent storms were on their way. Several storm cells popped up, but they just skirted the track. At 5:30 p.m. the grandstand gates opened and the fans flooded in to claim their seats. Shortly thereafter, another cell popped up heading directly toward the track. With approximately 1/3 of the track already under water, any additional rain would jeopardize the event. One of the big concerns was the safety issue of ambulance response inside the track. If a driver was injured and the on/off ramp areas were impassable (for an ambulance), then the racing could not happen. The worst case scenario occurred as it started to rain very heavily. Due to this additional rain the event was postponed until October 18th. All tickets and wrist bands from today's event will be honored on that date. Although, no racing actually occurred, there was some great fan interaction. Click here to see what was happening before the rains came (again).